South Elk - ca. 1890; Italiante style 1 1/2 story frame
with vinyl siding. An iron fence of the same period faces
Elk Avenue and the south side of the house. the name of a
pharmacist W. A. Miles is on the original gate plaque.
South Elk - ca. 1920; 1 1/2 story brick English Cottage
Revival. The longtime home of the late Dr. R.E. McCown, it
is now owned by Debra Tucker.
South Elk - Goodrich-Thornton House. 1880. Victorian Stick
Style. 2-story frame with corner turret. Built as a wedding
present for Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich, this house has never had
earlier remodelings to modernize it and retains much of its
original appearance. This historic home is owned by the Hamilton
East Maple - (S.W. corner of Elk and Maple) - ca. 1940.
English Cottage Revival. 1 1/2-story brick veneer. Built for
Billy and Rose Foster, the house is presently owned by Todd
and Jill Storey.
South Elk - ca. 1860's. 2-story frame. Deed records have
been traced back to 1867 with indications that the house probably
was built before that date. The three front wall dormers at
the roofline were built around the turn of the century and
the house was divided into apartments for many years. Mary
Cunningham owned the house from 1945-1978. The current owner,
Lugenia Storey, is renovating it and has converted it back
to a single-family residence.
South Elk - McKinney-Pitts House - ca. 1820-25. Federal
with Victorian era changes. 2-story brick, one of the oldest
structures in Fayetteville. The brick was made from clay dug
and fired on the property. The house was built by Dr. Charles
McKinney (1788-1864), a surgeon in the War of 1812 and the
Creek Uprising. Dr. McKinney's original office was on the
site of the present office building which was built ca. 1956.
According to one of Dr. McKinney's granddaughters, the house
had the first indoor bathroom in Fayetteville.
South Elk - McKinney-Williams-Pitts House - ca. 1830.
Greek Revival with Victorian era remodeling. 2-story brick.
Dr. Charles McKinney built this house as a wedding gift for
one of his daughters. When the house was built, Dr. McKinney
planted a tree seedling that had been imported from England
by a preacher. That sprig, a rare copper beech, grew into
a tree which still stands at the north front corner of the
house. In later years the house was the longtime residence
of Abednego "Beddie" Williams and family of the Williams Lumber
Company. The property is now the home of the Rudy Pitts family.
South Elk - McDonald-Bolner House - ca. 1859. Gothic Revival,
listed on National Register. 1 1/2-story brick on a full raised
basement. The McDonald-Bolner House, with its heavy, massive
details, is the only brick Gothic Revival home in the area,
although there are several local examples of Carpenter Gothic
houses. According to tradition, the house was built by Dr.
R. R. McKinney as a wedding gift for his daughter, Martha
Cordelia, and her husband, R. A. McDonald. After McDonald
died in 1872, his wife sold the house. In 1916 the house was
purchased by a Baptist minister called Preacher Brown, who
made several changes in the original structure. The R. A.
Pitts family lived there from 1918 until 1955. The house was
purchased in 1959 by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Bolner, who have
completed several restoration projects. They have converted
the raised basement and the attic into apartments, and continue
to work on restoration and maintenance projects. Current owners
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Hale.
North Elk - First United Methodist Church (1892-93)- an
earlier Methodist Church building was located on the site
of the old Moores property at the corner of North Main Avenue
and East Edison Street. Shortly after two new spires had been
completed on the earlier building, a tornado on March 27,
1890 nearly destroyed the church. By May 8 of that year, at
the urging of several members, the official church board had
purchased a new lot on North Elk Ave. By 1893 a new brick
church had been completed there. In 1915 the Women's Missionary
Society purchased a pipe organ, the first of its kind in Fayetteville,
and it is still in use today. The church building was condemned
in the early 1920's due to structural problems, and extensive
repairs had to be made. In 1946 the stone-like permastone
veneer was placed on the brick building's exterior. The church
was forced to undergo repair again after it was damaged by
the 1952 tornado. In 1953 the church bought the Moores property
on North Main, the same location where the earlier church
had been. The Moores building served as the Sunday School
for many years. Gradually, new buildings have been constructed
on the church grounds, housing a fellowship hall, classrooms,
North Elk - First Baptist Church (1949-50) - The Baptist
Church in the Lincoln County village of Mulberry indicate
that their congregation was instrumental in the successful
Fayetteville organization which was completed in 1881. The
first church building, located at 204 East Washington, was
destroyed by a tornado that struck on March 27, 1890. By the
end of the next year, a new building was completed on the
same site, serving the congregation until 1950. The cornerstone
for this building has been relocated to the northeast corner
of the present church grounds, beneath the church sign. The
East Washington Street building, again damaged by a tornado
in 1952, is the former home of the Rotary Club. The present
church building on North Elk was erected in 1949-50. In 1962-63
an education and office building was built across the street
and was named in honor of Brother D. D. Smothers, who pastored
the church longer than any other pastor in its history.
East Washington - St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church
(1952) - When the tornado of 1890 demolished so many churches
in Fayetteville, the St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church was
left untouched. Ironically, it was the only church carrying
tornado insurance! Following the destruction on the February
29, 1952 tornado, again churches were destroyed or damaged,
including St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church. Unfortunately,
it was then among those without tornado insurance! Found in
the rubble of the elegant stone and wood edifice of the 1884
church was a small ledger in which was recorded much history,
such as: the church was dedicated on St. Mary Magdalene Day,
July 22, 1884; it became a parish in 1890 but lost that status
during World War I. With only about thirty-three active members,
the church was rebuilt in almost the same spot. However, it
was relocated 90 degrees to the south, facing Washington Street,
with Elk Avenue to the east. Culver Dozier, a former alter
boy, was the architect in 1952. After almost 90 years as a
mission, St. Mary Magdalene has become a parish again with
nearly sixty families.
North Elk - (northeast corner of N. Elk and E. Washington)
- Hugh Bright Douglas-Don Wyatt House 1894-95. Queen Anne
with Steamboat Gothic style 2-tier wrap-around porches. Two
and one-half story frame, listed on the National Register.
The House contains the owner's antique shop on the first floor,
and the residence on the second floor. Built as a townhouse
for Hugh Bright Douglas, who owned a 1450 acre farm three
miles east of Fayetteville, the house was designed by the
Nashville architectural firm of Rickman and Bills and built
by a Lincoln County builder named Ray. The hardwoods used
in the house were cut from Mr. Douglas' farm, and all the
original woodwork remains. He was the grandson of James Bright
and the son of William Byrd Douglas. During the Civil War
Hugh Bright Douglas served under Generals Nathan Bedford Forrest
and Joe Wheller. After the war he married Margaret Terrett
of Nashville; their son, Byrd, inherited the house after his
mother's death. His daughter, Sarah Byrd Douglas Posey, inherited
the house after her father's death in 1958., Mr. Don Wyatt,
the current owner, purchased the property from Mrs. Posey
East Washington - ca. 1910. Bungalow. One and a half story
brick veneer. Constructed as a residence, the building now
serves as a law office for owner Don Wyatt. When Mr. Wyatt
remodeled the house for office use in 1964-65, he enclosed
the wide porch and covered the front and side elevations with
East Washington - Kim's School of Dance - 1891. Gothic
Revival. One and a half story brick. This building served
as the Baptist Church from 1891 until 1950. The Baptist Church
in Fayetteville had been organized during 1879-81, and the
first church building, which was on this site, had been destroyed
by the tornado of March 27, 1890. Another tornado in 1952
destroyed a tall steeple that had been located at the front
left corner of the building. The building housed the Church
of the Nazarene for a number of years before becoming headquarters
for the Rotary Club. In 1996, the Rotary Club headquarters
was relocated and the building was sold to Don Wyatt.
East Washington - ca. 1900. Late Victorian era. 1-story
brick with segmental-arched windows. The original front porch
spanning the width of the facade was destroyed in the 1890
tornado and has been changed. The home, built by Hugh Cummins
for Mr. Drennon, is owned by Gayle Chumbley. The vacant lot
next door to the east was the site of a home that was destroyed
by a gas explosion caused by the tornado of 1952.
East Washington - ca. 1900. Late Victorian era. 2-story
frame house. The original ornate front porch, destroyed by
the 1890 tornado, has been changed, and the house now contains
apartments. Early in the century it was the home of Henry
K. Holman, a prominent businessman.
East Washington - ca. 1950. 1 1/2-story brick house.
East Washington - ca. 1900. Post-Victorian era. 1-story
frame house with 2-story addition in rear. This house now
contains apartments. The east boundary of this lot was the
original eastern boundary of Fayetteville as shown on the
1810 town plat.
East Washington - Carter-Green-Campbell House - 1892.
Dutch Colonial Revival. 1 1/2-story frame with shingles and
stone. Built by Judge N. P. Carter, the home is owned by Mrs.
Gordon Campbell. Predating the present house are an earlier
brick kitchen-servant house, now used as an apartment, and
a brick patio constructed from brick that was probably made
on the site.
East Washington - 1905. Post-Victorian era. 2-story frame
house with aluminum siding. This home was built for Mr. Jim
Ralston by Mr. Hugh Cummins. Wood for framing the house was
cut from red oak trees on the Ralston family farm west of
town. Ella Mae Stewart was the next owner of the home. In
1959, the Ed Berger family bought it and converted it from
apartments back to a single-family residence. A small lot
directly west of the Berger home, and now part of their yard,
was the site of the Carter Rutledge home, now demolished.
Mr. Berger recently passed away and the new owners are Mr.
& Mrs. Lynn Moore.
East Washington - Lamb-Rice-Warren House - 1888. Late
Victorian era. 2-story brick house. This "antebellum"type
home was built by W. B. Douthit. William B. Lamb was one of
the various owners. He was an attorney for the railroad and
was a brother to attorney Diemer Lamb, Sr. Later owners were
Mr. and Mrs. Holden (Ty) Rice. Mrs. Rice ran a gift shop on
the south side of the square for several years. Their daughter,
Adnia Rice, who played in Broadway's "Music Man" among many
other productions, was also a renowned drama teacher at Lincoln
County High School. The current owners are Mr. and Mrs. James
East Washington - Bright-Wright-Reese House - ca. 1858.
Italianate. 2-story brick house, listed on the National Register.
Built between 1850 and 1858 by James R. Bright, the house
is constructed of handmade brick, as are the front porch and
steps, sidewalks, terraces, and garden walls. Subsequent owners
were W. N. Wright, Hiram Higgins, C. B. Pearson, Harriet Shedden,
Mary Medearis, Ernest Reese, Jr., and Jane M. Reese. The Reese
family sold the home in 1996 to David and Michael Payne, the
East Washington - Washington Street Church of Christ -
1890 - 1951. About 1835, Dr. John McKinney and family, along
with John Goodrich and his wife, moved to Fayetteville where
they began the work of establishing a congregation of primitive
Christians. Initially, they met in the home of John Goodrich
to worship. When the war started, the congregation was scattered.
In 1864, John T. Medearis and family moved to Fayetteville
and the church was revived. The church was about forty-five
years old before it possessed a meeting house of its own.
During these years, they met in private residences, the public
school building and the Courthouse. In 1879, the church erected
a handsome brick house. This church building was completely
destroyed by a cyclone in 1890 and the congregation again
met at the Courthouse. Another building was soon erected and
an addition was built onto the auditorium. On February 29,
1952, around 5:00 PM a tornado struck Fayetteville damaging
the auditorium so badly it had to be torn down. The present
auditorium was then erected. The congregation met at the Elks
Building while the new auditorium was under construction.
In 1958, the adjoining Landess property was purchased and
used for additional Bible classrooms. In 1965, a new Bible
Study annex was built on this property which included classrooms
and office space. In 1970, the property west of the auditorium,
known as the McKinney House, was purchased. It currently is
used for classrooms, wedding receptions and fellowship activities.
East Washington - McKinney House - ca. 1900. Post Victorian
era. 2-story frame with vinyl siding. Now owned by Washington
Street Church of Christ, the house was the longtime residence
of the McKinney family.
East Washington - ca. 1900. Post Victorian era. One story
frame house. Owned by Edna Bedwell.
East Washington - ca. 1890. Late Victorian era. 2-story
frame house. This home, at one time as the Church of Christ
parsonage, and was also the home of the Womack family for
many years. It is now owned by Oleta Campbell.
East Washington - ca. 1880. Italianate with vernacular
Gothic trim. 1-story frame house with rounded-arch windows.
This was the longtime home of the Joe Faison family. The east
boundary of this lot was the original eastern boundary of
Fayetteville as shown on the 1810 town plat.
East Washington - VICTORIAN HOSPITALITY 5:00 - 9:00 PM
ca. 1880. Italianate with Gothic and Eastlake style trim.
2-story frame house with rounded-arch windows. Built by Judge
N. P. Carter, the house is currently owned by Mr. and Mrs.
Clyde H. Hayner, Sr.
East Washington - ca. 1890. Late Victorian era. One story
brick house with segmental-arched windows. This house was
built by Capt. Hagey who worked for the railroad. Carl Higgins
was a previous owner of the house and sold it to G. A. Groce
who has owned it for over 30 years.
East Washington - ca. 1900. Bungalow. 1 1/2-story brick
house. This house, built by Mrs. Annie Davis, is owned by
the Kerbo family.
East Washington - ca. 1900 Colonial Revival. 1 1/2-story
frame house. Built by timber and planing mill operator Joe
R. Hiller, this house was formerly the long-time home of the
Parsons family, and is now owned by Benny Edwards. (See 405
East Washington - 1930. Colonial Revival. Two story frame
house which has been enlarged from 1 1/2-stories. This house
was built by Joe R. Hiller in the same year he built it neighbor,
403 East Washington. He had purchased a circa 1895 house on
a large lot on East Washington, moved the older house to an
adjacent lot facing Mulberry Avenue ( the house now at 210
Mulberry ), and built two houses on the remaining lot. Rufus
and Margaret Hereford are the current owners of the home.
East College - ca. 1850. Italianate. 2-story brick. The
McGuire family acquired the house in 1870 and lived there
for many years. It was later the longtime location of the
Lamb apartments. The house is now owned by Bank of Lincoln
East College - ca. 1925. Plantation. 2-story frame. This
house was built by Dr. McWilliams. It was later purchased
in 1993 by Mr. and Mrs. Ray Simmons, who also own the commercial
property next door. The current owners are Jay & Julie
East College - ca. 1905. Post Victorian era. 2-story frame.
Built by Robert Mason, the house is located on a lot that
was originally part of the McGuire-Lamb property next door.
The house is owned by Suzanne Wagar.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1854. First Presbyterian Church
was organized in 1812 as "The Church of Fayetteville" and
originally met in the log courthouse. In 1832, a building
for the "Fayetteville Presbyterian Church was erected on the
present site. Nineteen years later (1851), this building was
destroyed by a cyclone. The old part of the present building
was erected from bricks burned on the spot and dedicated in
1854. Oral tradition is unanimous in saying that the Union
Army used the upstairs of the building for a hospital and
the basement as a stable, during the Federal occupation of
Fayetteville. It was May 3, 1908 that the Session met and
officially changed the name to "First Presbyterian Church
of Fayetteville, Tennessee". In 1917, the front of the Church
was extended twelve feet and the original two columns replaced
by four column. The present education wing was added in 1967.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1930. Originally constructed as
a service station and is known as the home of the first automated
car wash in Fayetteville. The building now houses the office
of Stephen H Guerin, PSYD and The Hair Company.
Mulberry Avenue - Davis Auto & Antiques was originally
a filling station owned by Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Posey, who opened
it in the 1930s. It later became Halcomb and Posey Buick dealership
in the 40s, and became Roy Warren Buick dealership in the
60s. Johnny and Pat Davis opened an auto repair shop in the
1970s. Johnny now restores classic and antique cars. Pat opened
the antique shop in 1985.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1880. Mr. and Mrs. John B. Thomison
acquired the property in 1900. The Thomisons' are the grandparents
of Mr. Jack Thomison (624 Mulberry), Mr. Hubert Holman (628
Mulberry), and Mr. Burke Holman, Jr. (deceased), and Evalyn
Holman Frierson (211 Mulberry).
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1850 & 1930. Built by Mr. Cornelium
Allen, the original style of this house is unknown. It was
purchased by Mr. Burke Holman and in 1904 he remodeled the
front porch. The entire house was then remodeled in the 1930s
into its current Greek Revival appearance by the Holmans.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1854. This Greek Revival home was
built by Reverend Matthew Martin Marshall minister of the
First Presbyterian Church during the Civil War. The smokehouse
to the rear of the main house was constructed out of the same
brick as the church. The house was remodeled in 1951 by Mrs.
Johnson who had an antique shop there for many years. The
current owner is the estate of Mr. Samuel Ashby, Jr.,the late
owner of Dale-Rees Hardware, on the east side of the public
square until the 1980s.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1909. This house was originally
built by Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Cowan. Their children, Dolly,
Betsy, W. G. Cowan, Jr., and Martha all grew up here. Current
owner, Mrs. Martha Cowan Patrick's grandfather was Dr. Cal
McGuire, senior surgeon of First Army of Northern Virginia
- CSA, and personal physician of General Robert E. Lee. The
ownership of this house has stayed within this family throughout
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1805. Built by the Whitakers, this
Colonial Revival house originally had two porches, one facing
Mulberry and one facing Green Street. During the 1890s it
was a school for girls. It was remodeled in the mid 1920s
by owner Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fulton. Mrs. Fulton was a drama
teacher (known at the time as "expression and physical culture").
It is said that she "had one extravaganza of a play (a Japanese
one) and everybody in Fayetteville (young ladies) all had
a red and black kimono and a wax paper umbrella for the children
to sport..." Current owners of the house are M. G. and B.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1920. Mrs. Sorrells had this Bungalow
style house built. She is the grandmother of W. Michael McCown,
our present District Attorney. The house is currently owned
by Mr. and Mrs. Dallas Williams.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1880. Originally built in 1863 as
a one-room carriage house, this Italianate style house was
owned by Mr. and Mrs. Silvertooth who also owned the Crystal
Stream Laundry at the city limits. Later owners included Mr.
and Mrs. Frank B. Kelso, grandparents of Admiral Frank B.
Kelso. The crooked front doors that were installed in 1883
were left intact (and crooked) when the home was restored
Lot - Mr. and Mrs. Frank B. Kelso sold the large two-story
house on this lot to Mr. and Mrs. Ernest McGehee. The 1952
tornado which ripped down Mulberry Avenue demolished this
house, killing Mrs. McGehee. The lot is now part of the Robert
W. Stevens estate.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1900. Built by a Mr. Heymann, at
one time an owner of a jewelry store on the northeast corner
of the public square. Mr. Heymann sold the house to Mr. and
Mrs. Tom Strong, and after several owners, in 1956 the house
was bought by Mr. Robert Stevens. Mrs. Robert Stevens, Lera
Strong Stevens is the daughter of former owners. Flo Carter,
owner of Cahoots Restaurant and niece of Ms. Lera, is the
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1950. This house was completed in
late 1952 and occupied by Mr. Don Steuart, an executive with
the Borden Company, and his wife from 1953 until 1960. He
was transferred to Lewisburg in 1960. Roy and Golda Harris
purchased the house in 1954 and have lived in this house since
1960 until the present time.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1910. This bungalow style house
was owned at one time by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bunn. Mr. Bunn
was manager of Fayetteville's electric power plant and system
before TVA. Another past owner, Mr. Lavoy Raby, was Lincoln
County's Register of Deeds for many years. The current owners
are Mr & Mrs. Easley.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1930. Built by Hugh Joseph Cummins
for Mr. and Mrs. James D. McKinney, Jr. Mr. McKinney and his
father owned McKinney's Drug Store on the northeast corner
of the public square. Years later the home was sold to Mrs.
Alonzo Simmons. In 2001, Mr. Cummins Great Grandson, William
Joseph Cummins III made the most recent renovations for the
current owners, Don and Carolyn Denton.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1860. This Italianate house was
built by William Bright, son of James Bright. Among the various
owners were the Redd Family, and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Eakin.
Mr. Eakin was the manager of the Fayetteville Milling Company,
on the corner of Norris Street and Front Street. Mr. and Mrs.
Blake Copple are the current owners.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1882. One of the two Queen Anne
style homes on this street, the first house on this site burned
the night before the Henry Gillespie family was to move in
their new home. The present house was then constructed. The
home remains in the family of Beverly and Sarah Buchanan Young.
Mrs. Young's parents, Mr. Robert F. Buchanan, was the owner
of "The Lincoln County News" (now the Elk Valley Times.)
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1910. This Bungalow style house
was built by Mr. and Mrs. Collier Rees. They moved away for
several years and during this time Mr. and Mrs. Diemer Lamb
and their family (504 Mulberry) lived here. Mr. Rees, along
with his father and brother owned a dry goods store, R. A.
Rees and Sons. The current owner is Mr. and Mrs. Leach.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1895. Known as the "Ladd House",
this two story Colonial Revival structure was built by Mr.
and Mrs. W. H. Ladd. Mr. and Mrs. John Groce were the next
owners. Mr. and Mrs. Francis Tucker completely restored the
interior as well as the charming backyard playhouse. Current
owners are Mr. and Mrs. Michael Everett Stewart.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1900. Mrs. Laurine B. Spray and
the late William C. Spray purchased the home from the Arthur
Carroll estate in 1975. This uniquely shaped two-story home
was once owned by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bagley and Mr. and Mrs.
William Young (Mrs. Young was the sister of Mrs. Bagley).
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1905. This house built by Mr. and
Mrs. Cole Feeney. Mr. Feeney was a cashier at First National
Bank. Later, the Feeney's next door neighbors, Mr. and Mrs.
Arthur Carroll, purchased the house. The former owners, Mr.
and Mrs. Patrick Bingham, did extensive restoration to the
interior of the house to bring the structure back to its original
shape after it had been made into apartments. Current owners
Ms Marie B. Lott.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1895. This house was first used
as the manse for First Presbyterian Church. It is currently
owned by Mrs. Charles Harmening.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1920. Presently owned by the family
of Mrs. W. B. Posey, the mother of Mrs. Charles Harmening
(200 Mulberry). The structures is a two-story Colonial Revival
style home. One of the previous owners, Mr. and Mrs. Robert
H. Terry, owned a dry goods store on the west side of the
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1895. Known as "The Robertson House",
this structure was originally located on Washington Street.
Mr. J. R. Hiller, a lumber and planning mill operator purchased
the house and moved it to its present site. The current owners
are Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hamilton who moved from Charlotte
NC in 1996.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1911. This house was originally
built by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bonner. Mr. Bonner was a passenger
train engineer for the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis
Railway. Some of the early occupants were the C.S. Caughran
family, and Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Buchanan, and the current
owner is Mrs. William Johnson.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1905. This Colonial Revival house
was built by Mr. and Mrs. Andy Wright. Mr. Wright owned Wright's
dry goods store on he northeast corner of the public square.
Subsequent owners include Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Higgins, Mr.
and Mrs. Jack Johnson, and the present owners, Mr. and Mrs.
William F. Thomas.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1900. Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Medearis
were early owners of this Colonial Revival home. Mr. Medearis
owned and operated a tannery on a site adjacent to the small
stream which became known as Tanyard Branch. He later obtained
the first Coca-Cola franchise in Fayetteville. He was also
an early manager for the Bell Telephone Company in Fayetteville.
The current owner, Mrs. James Holland, is the granddaughter
of Mr. and Mrs. Medearis.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1850 & 1852. This home is currently
owned by Mrs. John V. Matthews. Mr. Matthews' grandparents,
Mr. and Mrs. N. O. Wallace were earlier owners of the house
and Mr. Wallace was also one of the early owners and operators
of "The Fayetteville Observer" (now the Elk Valley Times).
The house was demolished by the tornado of 1952 and the present
structure was rebuilt from the remains of the original house.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1843. This house was built by Colonel
Tillford Gordon who came here from Philadelphia. He later
built the house at 606 Mulberry. The house was bought in 1858
by J. B. Lamb and has descended in the Lamb family. Mrs. Diemer
Lamb, Sr. (Lila Motlow), completely restored the house in
1946. Diemer Lamb, Sr. was a prominent Fayetteville attorney,
and served as Attorney General for the 7th Judicial Circuit
from 1918 to 1950. The home remains in the Lamb family.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1850 & 1925. This Georgian Revival
house was originally built in 1850 by Colonel Tillford Gordon
who first built the Lamb house (504 Mulberry). Legend has
it that one day a gypsy fortune teller told Mrs. Gordon that
her husband was going to sell the house that they were living
in. That night when he came in, he put the money he had gotten
for it in her lap. Apparently the gypsy was correct. He than
built this house for his wife on a much smaller scale per
her request. Later a Mr. Barnett came here from Virginia and
married one of the Gordon daughters and they lived in the
house. Mr. Barnett's father was Union sympathizer and the
house was used either as a hospital or Officer's Quarters
during the Civil War. The Barnett's Daughter married a Dr.
Buckner and they also lived here. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Rees purchased
the housed from the Buckners and did extensive remodeling
and fixed the house to its current appearance. It is currently
owned by Mrs. William R. Carter.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1850 & 1930. Originally built
by Judge James Chilcoat, the first Lincoln County Judge. Mr.
Chilcoat was murdered at Mulberry during the Civil War by
Yankees. Dr. T. A. Patrick Sr. first remodeled the original
frame house adding a stone veneer to the exterior. Several
more remodelings were made by other owners. The wife of owner
Dr. Thomas Holman, Selina Moore Holman, was very active in
the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and served as the organization's
president for several years. Her portrait hangs in the state
capitol. The current owners are Mr. and Mrs. Don Davis.
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1865 & 1890. built circa 1865
by Robert E. Lee Bright, the original house was a two-story
cabin with on large room on each floor. A new house was eventually
built in front of the original one and the two were later
joined (1890), forming the house as it is today. Mr. and Mrs.
W. C. Thomison purchased the house in 1910 from the Judge
Joseph Higgins and wife. Judge Higgins was the grandfather
of our former city attorney, Mr. Thomas O. Bagley. Upon Mr.
W C Thomison's death, the house was inherited by Mr. &
Mrs. Jack Thomison. Mr. Thomison was born in the upstairs
bedroom. Mrs. Thomison died in 2002 and the house passed down
to the current owners Mr. & Mrs. William C. Thomision,
Mulberry Avenue - ca. 1900. Mr. James L. Newsom acquired
this land in August of 1899 from Mr. George Sutton. Soon after,
Mr. Newsom constructed this Queen Anne style Victorian home
complete with slate shingles and curved glass windows in the
turret. The original hitching posts still stand at the Porte
cochere. Mr. Newsom was a traveling salesman and later operated
a dry goods store on the east side of the square. Mr. Newsom
died of typhoid fever at a young age and the house was inherited
by Cullen B. Ervin (son of Mrs. Newsom by her second husband).
Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Holman purchased the home in 1936 and
it remained with his family until 2001. The home is currently
being renovated by the new owners, Dr. and Mrs. Jerry G. McKinney.
You for Visiting Our Friendly Community!!!